How To - Computer Maintenance
Fix Windows 10 System Files
If your Operating System does NOT perform such well in the last time maybe it is the moment for some system maintenance.
Also you can do this when your Operating System will not shutdown properly OR when starts to act weird.
First step is to run a virus scan, not from the antivirus you have already installed on the computer but from one provided by Microsoft.
The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free tool. Will helps remove virus, spyware, and other malicious Software. It works with your installed antivirus software.
• The Microsoft Safety Scanner will expire in 10 days after download. For another scan you will have to download and run the script again.
• If the scan will detect ANY PROGRAM INFECTED, it will delete the program. You have to reinstall it. Any other folders or files detected as affected might even get deleted.
Here is the Microsoft link: http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx
Second step is to use the System File Checker tool.
1) Type Command Prompt OR cmd in the Search box.
2) Right click Command Prompt Desktop App
3) Select Run as Administrator.
If you have to enter an administrator password do it, also if you are asked for a confirmation click Allow.
4) Type the command below and hit Enter. The process can last for a few minutes.
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
(See image at point 5).
• When you run this command, DISM uses Windows Update to provide the files that are required to fix corruptions.
• If your Windows Update client is already broken, use a running Windows installation as the repair source, or use a Windows side-by-side folder from a network share or from a removable media, such as the Windows DVD, as the source of the files. To do this, run the following command instead:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess
Replace the C:\RepairSource\Windows placeholder with the location of your repair source. For more information about using the DISM tool to repair Windows, reference Repair a Windows Image. Microsoft link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-8.1-and-8/hh824869(v=win.10)
5) When step 4 it is done, at the Command Prompt type the command below and hit ENTER.
Do the First step from Method 1.
Perform a Clean Boot. To see the steps for performing a Clean Boot, Copy and Paste the Microsoft Link below in your browser:
NOTE: When you finish your work follow the steps: How to reset the computer to start as usual after clean boot troubleshooting. (from link above).
You have to pass through this steps in order to reset the computer to start as usual, to return to the Normal Startup Mode.
Please navigate to Moved By Web – How TO – section to find some more helpful and worth reading articles.